REPORTS TO: Senior Tax and Accounting Specialist
The Sr. Tax Specialist supports both Tax and Accounting functions within the Gibson Finance Team. This position must handle multiple assignments in a rapidly changing, fast paced environment with frequent direct interaction with senior management. The Sr. Tax Specialist position is responsible for the accurate and timely preparation of federal and state income, sales/use, and property tax filings, returns, reports, and remittance of tax for Gibson Guitar Corp. and its subsidiaries as necessary. Calculates federal, AMT, ACE, and state tax depreciation for the Company. Assists the VP – Tax and Tax Manager with tax provision calculations, tax audits, and tax research and planning for all companies within the Group so that the Group's exposure to taxes is minimized/optimized. Assists the Accounting Team with recurring and/or special assignments coordinated through the Chief Accounting Officer.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Major responsibilities of the position are listed below. To perform the job successfully, the individual must be able to execute each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Preparation of monthly sales and use tax returns for Gibson Guitar Corp. and Subsidiaries.
- Preparation of annual property tax returns for Gibson Guitar Corp. and Subsidiaries.
- Preparation of yearend tax information for the outsourced preparation of the federal and state income tax returns for companies within the Group as assigned by VP –Tax and Tax Manager. Calculates federal, AMT, ACE, and state tax depreciation for the companies assigned. Also, assist with the timely preparation of the annual tax provision calculation for use in the annual financial statements.
- Assist in the preparation of quarterly and year end reconciliation of the General Ledger tax accounts for companies within Gibson Guitar Corp. and Subsidiaries.
- Assist with and answering information requests of federal, state, and local tax auditors with respect to income, sales and use, and property taxes.
- Prepare management reports defining and evaluating problems and recommending solutions.
- Provide "overflow" assistance in budgeting and forecasting analysis and preparation.
- Provide “overflow” assistance in budgeting and forecasting analysis and preparation.
- Other duties and projects as assigned by the VP – Tax and Chief Accounting Officer.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- A Degree in Accounting or the equivalent (advanced degree a plus)
- Good knowledge of the business uses of computers including the use of Excel, Word and tax provision software (strong preference for OneSource/Tax Stream)
- 3-5 years’ experience with a large multi-state corporate tax department (manufacturing company a plus)
- Good oral and written communications skills
- 3-5 years’ experience in state sales and use taxes
- Additional experience in federal and state income taxes a plus
- Experience with Great Plains general ledger and Hyperion preferred
- Experience working with databases and retrieving information from information systems
- Demonstrated time-management and multi-tasking skills coupled with a keen ability to prioritize assignments
*Gibson offers a competitive benefits package including medical, dental, vision, 401(k), vacation and paid time off. To be considered for this position, please send resume and salary history to email@example.com and put "Sr. Tax and Accounting Specialist" in the subject line.
No phone calls, please.