Bending notes is a basic skill that every guitarist needs to know. Many players can bend but they can't seem to get the ideal sound that they are trying to achieve. But with proper technique your string bends can take on a whole new dimension.
Bends give a bluesy soulful sound to your playing and can be used in a variety of styles. This lesson teaches proper bend technique for half step, whole step and minor third bends.
Here are a few key tips to remember when bending.
1) Bending is always going to be easier on lighter gauge strings.
2) There are different types of bends that guitarists use - nuance bends, half step bends, whole step bends, and minor third bends.
3) Small nuance bends can be done with any finger as the melody dictates by rocking back and forth the finger fretting the note.
4) Larger bends of a half step or more are primarily done with the 3rd (ring) or 4th (pinky) finger with the other fingers helping push the string up.
5) Bending properly requires hand strength and a strong, stable hand position.
6) Bends work best on the 1st (E), 2nd (B), and 3rd (G) strings from the 5th position and up on the neck.
Have a great lesson! - Steve Krenz
Discuss this lesson in the Skills House Forum, Go there now!
Steve plays a Gibson USA Les Paul Supreme
in this lesson.
As an instructor, Steve is best known for the top-selling guitar instruction course, Gibson's Learn & Master Guitar. He has helped thousands of students in over 95 countries across the globe to learn, improve, and master the guitar.
Steve's performing experience covers a large gamut, from playing guitar with the symphony orchestra, to jazz big bands, to performing with Grammy-winning artists like Donna Summer, Michael W. Smith, The Fifth Dimension, Israel Houghton, and Tommy Sims (producer, renowned bass player for Bruce Springsteen and co-writer of Eric Clapton's Grammy-winning song "Change the World").
Check back every week for more Free Lessons!
This Skills House Foundation Lesson was brought to you by the makers of Gibson's Learn & Master Guitar with Steve Krenz. Gibson's Learn & Master Guitar, the world's most in-depth home study course for guitar. Developed in partnership with Legacy Learning Systems, this 20-DVD course takes beginning players from the ultra-basics of guitar all the way through advanced skills training. It is truly years' worth of training in a single box, all presented in a simple step-by-step progression that anyone can follow on their path toward mastering the guitar. The Learn & Master Guitar course received the 2011 Acoustic Guitar Magazine Player’s Choice GOLD Award for outstanding guitar instructional materials. Steve is also the author of the Learn & Master Blues Guitar DVD course with Legacy Learning Systems. For more information, go here!